You’ve come to the right place if you love drones and want to know if you can fly one in the rain. Drone operation is enjoyable. From a great height in the air, you can take photos and find fresh angles.
Some of these drones have waterproof surfaces. If so, is DJI mini 2 waterproof?
Since the DJI Mini 2 is not waterproof, you cannot use it to fly a drone safely in the rain. Rainwater could enter the drone through some open ports and vents and short out its electronics.
I’ll talk about how the Mini 2 can be made more water-resistant in this blog post and how susceptible it is to rainwater.
Can You Fly DJI Mini 2 in the Rain?
I’ve already mentioned that the DJI Mini 2 is not water-resistant. But even so, is it still possible to fly it in the rain?
Although you “can” fly a Avoid using a DJI Mini 2 in the rain. Flying it in the rain puts the internal electronics and motor at risk of damage, which could completely destroy your drone.
Being able to do something and having a good idea are two very different things. So, even though you can fly your DJI Mini 2, it is not recommended.
If it is snowing, foggy, misting, etc., it is a fact. it is a good idea not to fly your drone as the moisture in the air could damage your drone’s components. Keeping your drone on the ground is preferable to taking the chance of damaging or destroying it if in doubt.
How Does Water Get Inside the Mini 2?
You might be wondering at this point why your drone isn’t waterproof if the drone circuits are so susceptible to rainwater.
It would be fantastic if your drone could fly through the rain and crash into the water without suffering any serious water damage.
The problem is that a drone with too many moving or removable parts is difficult to waterproof.
Additionally, since drones are air-cooled, waterproofing is impossible because air vents must be left open.
Water can get inside your Mini 2 (or any other drone) through the following points:
- Battery Terminals: The Mini 2 is no different than other drones in having detachable batteries. One of the primary places where water can seep into the battery compartment and short the battery terminals is the battery port. Related Reading: How Long To Charge DJI Mini 2 Battery?
- Power Button: Your Mini 2’s belly contains a power button that is also susceptible to water damage. The delicate PCB board directly below the ill-fitting button is easily damaged by water entering the hole in the button.
- Air Vents: Unlike the DJI Mini, the Mini 2’s front vents actually allow air to enter and cool the internal electronics while the aircraft is in flight. Perforated mesh covers the two vents, but under the pressure of swiftly blowing wind, the coarser-grained mesh can easily let water in.
- USB-C & SD Card Ports: Last but not least, the drone has two USB-C and SD card ports on the rear. Also susceptible to water are these.
Read More: Does DJI Mini 2 Have Obstacle Avoidance?
How to Get Water Out of Your Drone?
What would happen if you foolishly attempted to fly your drone in the rain despite the fact that it isn’t waterproof? What if you unintentionally dropped it into the water? How can you remove water from your drone to limit water damage or stop it from doing more harm? Here are some things you can try:
- Remove the drone from the water or the rain and switch it off immediately to prevent electricity from flowing through the drone.
- Remove the battery from the drone. The battery is likely damaged and needs to be replaced if the drone was submerged in water.
- Use distilled water to flush out as much water as possible from the drone. Despite the fact that it might seem counterproductive, the goal is to get rid of any water that could damage metal. Compared to rainwater or saltwater, distilled water is not as likely to corrode.
- Take the top cover off your drone and allow the drone to sit in a tub or bucket that is full of raw rice.
- Allow the rice to absorb the distilled water from your drone.
- Take your drone out and wipe it clean with a damp towel.
- Don’t attempt to turn your drone on unless it is completely dry.
- Try turning it on with the top cover removed. Make sure to turn it completely off if there is any smoke as this could indicate a component short-circuit. If not, there’s a good chance that water didn’t harm your drone.
- If damaged, try to find out which parts are damaged. As soon as you can, take the drone to a nearby DJI repair facility. Prior to having the drone repaired, avoid turning it on. Related Reading: How To Turn Off DJI Mini 2?
Will DJI Repair Water Damage?
We are aware that it is never advised to fly a drone in inclement weather, including rain, snow, or ice. It might be carried far away by strong winds, it might get wet, and one of its electrical speed controllers might blow a fuse.
But what if water actually damages your drone? Will DJI repair it?
If you’ve purchased the DJI extended warranty, DJI will repair drones that have suffered water damage. If your drone has been damaged by water or in an accident, they will repair it or replace it under their DJI Care Refresh program, but there is a fee to do so.
Depending on the DJI drone you want to insure and the plan you choose, the DJI Care Refresh Plan can cost anywhere from $49 to $319. The purchase of a plan must be made within 48 hours of activating your drone. You can choose between 1- and 2-year plans (obviously, the longer the plan, the more expensive it is).
In addition to the initial cost for the DJI Care Refresh, there is a fee for each replacement drone.
You shouldn’t be concerned if your Mavic Mini 2 drone inadvertently fell into the water or became stuck in the driving rain. To get assistance and have it fixed, give DJI a call. They will be able to.
How to Make Your Mini 2 Water Resistant?
Even though your DJI Mini 2 is not waterproof, you can still make it somewhat water-resistant by using either homemade seals or commercial wet suits.
Keep in mind that I said “water resistant” rather than “waterproof.”‘ Use caution when flying your drone because these precautions will lessen its susceptibility to moisture and condensation but won’t completely shield it.
Also, keep in mind that your drone may get wet during a flight for reasons other than rain. On a cloudy day, surface condensation will cause your drone to become completely submerged in water if you fly too close to densely saturated clouds.
DIY – Use Tapes
Since you are aware of the places where water enters the drone, you can simply cover those areas with plastic tapes before flying, keeping your drone reasonably dry during downpours.
Before taking off, cut small pieces of polyethylene film tape, place them over the power button, rare USB & SD card ports, and all around the battery compartment. This will shield you from precipitation and high-altitude condensation.
Since this is a do-it-yourself fix, there is no assurance that the tape won’t come off during flight, so be sure to use good tape and pressure set it thoroughly before takeoff.
The battery port, power button, and rare end are some of the vulnerable areas covered by special rubber masks called wet suits.
Even in very heavy rain, the pressure seal that these rubber suits produce offers excellent water protection.
Phantom Rain is the manufacturer of the best wetsuits (and likely the only one).
In the DJI community, they are revered and produce top-notch goods. Here is a video showing how a Mini 2 can fly in heavy rain without any problems at all.
You May Also Like:
- Does DJI Mini 2 Have Follow Me Mode?
- How Long To Charge Dji Mini 2 Battery?
- How Far Can DJI Mini 2 Fly?
Is DJI Mini 2 Weather Sealed?
It’s normal to be concerned that the DJI mini 2 and the Mavic Mini, two of the smallest DJI drones, might not be able to withstand cold weather. The DJI Mini 2 and Mavic Mini can operate in temperatures ranging from 0°F to 40°C (32°F to 104°F), and even in colder conditions if the batteries are preheated.
Can I Fly DJI Mini 2 in National Parks?
You may NOT take off and land a drone in any national park. As long as you adhere to the other regulations (Part 107), you are permitted to take off from outside park property and fly OVER the park, but if you land inside the park itself, your drone will be taken away, and you risk being fined.
Is Dji Mini 3 Waterproof?
No. Avoid coming into contact with water while using the device because it could cause damage. If it starts to rain while you are in the air, kindly turn around and land as soon as you can. Then, don’t use the plane again until it is completely dry both inside and out.
Is DJI Mavic Mini Waterproof?
No, it is not waterproof.
Is DJI Mini 2 Worth It?
The drone can shoot 4K video with excellent detail, it can shoot RAW photos, and it has the OcuSync 2.0 technology which is one of the most reliable long-range transmission controls out of all other drones, the DJI Mini 2 is a beast of a drone and definitely worth it.
Read More: DJI Mini 2 Vs Mavic Mini
In order to summarize the discussion, the answer is no, you cannot fly your Mavic Mini 2 in the rain because it is not waterproof.
Keep in mind that you can fly your drone over water as long as it doesn’t fall in. To avoid having your drone caught in the rain, be aware of the weather when flying it.
Always fly in bright sunshine if at all possible to protect your expensive drone. Take the appropriate safety measures if you must fly in bad weather.